Are you aware of the dangers of lily poisoning in cats?
Why are lilies dangerous?
Many gardens are harbourers of lilies, and our own or neighours homes too. Given that cats tend to go wandering, the chances of them finding lilies are higher than we think, and although it’s important not to panic, knowing the signs and symptoms is sensible for all cat owners.
Lilies are very poisonous for our cats and at risk of kidney failure if they eat any part of a lily flower in your home or a plant in the garden, and even a lick can be a vet emergency.
If you cat eats any part of a lily, it is not a wait and see option. Your cat must go to a vet immediately if you think they have ingested lilies. As a pet owner, I used to remove lilies from any flowers I received in gifts. Just brushing against lilies can cause pollen to lie on their fur, to be eaten later. If you have lilies in your garden, and you have cats, it might be a good idea to remove them forever.
How do I know they have lily poisoning?
Symptoms of lily poisoning in cats can include.
- Being sick.
- Stopping eating.
- Going to the toilet more often.
- Seizures or fits.
- Drinking much more than usual.
- Death of a pet.
What can I do at home if I think my cat has ingested lilies?
There is nothing you can do at home, apart from cleaning the coat of your cat. You must get your pet to the vet as an emergency patient. The vet will try to clear out the contents of your cats’ stomach and perhaps put your can on a drip to try and prevent the kidneys from failing.
To minimise contact with lilies by your cat/s.
- Don’t have lilies in your home or garden.
- Remove lilies from flowers before taking them inside. I’ve also noticed that lily pollen stains when it falls, so my personal preference is never to have lilies in the house at all.